- Post content regularly and often. In terms of time investment, 7-10 hours a week is generally sufficient, but it should be spread out over 4-5 days, with 1-2 hours each day.
- Be as responsive and transparent as possible.
- In terms of timing, posting mid-week is generally best. Time your posts for when you know users will be online; after 5pm there is generally a spike in usage.
- End your posts with a question. People are more likely to respond to a post that is in question form than a simple statement.
- Offer content with good value, and stay on topic.
- Draft up a social media workflow that is tailored to the needs of your organisation. Start with all the social media platforms that your organisation uses, and decide how they feed into one another. Have a contingency plan in case of a crisis situation.
Image credit: This photo is made available under a Creative Commons by-sa licence via OpenSourceWay on Flickr.